Google+ Followers

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

DANGER


In the world of education, a crisis most often refers to failing a class, failing a test, or receiving less than satisfactory marks on the final report card.  

As a school counselor, I explained how failing could actually provide an opportunity for growth.  Most parents looked at me like I was a ninny because they saw the danger in this type of crisis, but didn't see the opportunity for their child to learn an important lesson.

Too bad I didn’t have the wisdom of the Chinese language to back me up.  The Chinese symbol for “crisis” is a combination of symbols for “danger” and “opportunity”.   

If your child failed or struggled with a subject, this summer brings an “opportunity” to tackle the “danger”.  Examine the roots of the problem with your child and together, create a plan of attack.   

No comments: