Google+ Followers

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hunters vs. Gatherers; Is the Brain Different?



“We are out of ketchup,” he asserts with authority.
“I used it yesterday.  It’s in the fridge,” she calmly replies.
“There is no ketchup in here,” he retorts.
“Yes there most certainly is,” she barks.
“No, there’s not!”
“Yes there is!”

And so goes the argument until the woman storms over to the fridge and yanks the bottle from the top left shelf and thrusts it at her husband.

Believe it or not, male’s blindness may be a product of his “hunter-like” brain.  Females with their “gatherer” brains are accustomed to looking closely at details.  Males, however, as hunters, developed a much broader view of their surroundings as they scoped out the plains for their kill.  They didn’t focus on the details.  Therefore, the theory asserts that these dissimilar roles, settings, and responsibilities pushed men and women to evolve different hormonal balances and distinct brain structures.

I’m not sure if this theory has secure scientific backing.  However, it makes me feel a little less crazy when my two sons do the same exact thing as their father. 

“Mom, there’s no more milk!”
“Yes there is, you little hunter.  You just can’t see it because you are looking far off into distance.”

Check out this site to find out about 'brain sex' differences from BBC.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great explanation for why my husband can't find the butter! Now do I have to excuse him?

Solvang Sherrie said...

OMIGOSH! This totally happens in my family. My daughter and I can always find things my husband and son don't see. It blows my mind that the seven year old is better at finding things than her 42-year-old father!!

Paige said...

Thank you! You might have just saved my marriage :)