Google+ Followers

Sunday, August 15, 2010

RYA

The lack of posts may suggest that I’m MIA this summer, however I’m simply RYA this summer.  Yes, I’m Reading Young Adult fiction.  Voraciously, I may say. 

My young adult appetite has grown due to my impending job as an at-risk high school counselor.  As I ready myself (if that’s even possible) for the counseling task at hand, I find myself turning to literature and wondering how, and if I can use books to touch young people and make them contemplate their life beyond their limited viewpoint? 

There is something so raw and real about a novel that captures the angst and confusion of adolescence.  There is something so comforting about feeling like someone else understands.  There is something special about young adult fiction. 

I have old favorites:

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Life is Funny and America by ER Frank

and new favorites:

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 
The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

I'd love to know your favorites. 

4 comments:

Solvang Sherrie said...

I just finished re-reading Catching Fire, the sequel to Hunger Games. Suzanne Collins is just amazing.

I think you would enjoy Marcello in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork and Hero by Perry Moore. Those were two of my recent favorites. Matched by Ally Condie hasn't come out yet but when it does, read it. It's amazing! And read Shiver & Linger by Maggie Stiefvater. She's one of my favorite authors.

Paige said...

Sherrie made some great suggestions. I would add Border Crossing by Jessica Lee Anderson. It's the story of a young Latino's struggle with schizophrenia. This book really got under my skin!

Cindy Shortt said...

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to get them today!

Cindy Shortt said...

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to get them today!